Monday, March 8, 2010

Easy, cheap, Mexican Chicken

Hello everybody!
I am really excited about this recipe. It is literally one of the cheapest, easiest meals to make. I wish I took pictures of everything, but it's okay, I can just tell you...

What you need..
  • About a pound of chicken (cut into strips or bite size)
    (I seasoned my chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, but you probably don't have to season it at all)
  • 1 package of taco seasoning (I like to buy the low sodium kind, but any works)
  • 1 15oz can of black beans (drained) (I also bought low sodium, but any works)
  • 1 can of Mexican style corn (undrained) (whole corn kernels with red and green peppers) (I bought Del Monte brand 15 oz, but I know Green Giant sells "Mexicorn" in the 11oz as well)
  • About 1/4 cup of water
  • Corn tortillas (...if you feel like it..)
The only kind of chicken I buy is a big bag of chicken tenderloins. I used about 7 or 8 of them. I cooked them on my off-brand George Foreman grill, but if you don't have one, you can just some cooking spray to a skillet and cook the chicken in there.

When the chicken was done cooking, I cut the chicken into thin strips, and then I ended up cutting those in half, so they ended up being bite size pieces of chicken.

Then, I drained a can of black beans and put it in a skillet, then I added the can of Mexican Style corn, the taco seasoning, and about 1/4 cup of water. I put it on medium-medium high heat and just let it cook until most of the liquid was gone.

Then, I just warmed up a couple of corn tortillas put the filling inside. Rolled it up and ate it. It was DELICIOUS! :)
I think it would be really filling even without the corn tortilla. I just like wrapping it in something to keep it neat and tidy.

I got the idea from http://www.bettycrocker.com/

I love this meal so much because not only is it quick, but it's VERY healthy! There is lots of fiber and protein, so it a very filling meal!

This is definitely a meal that any broke college student with barely any time can make! Enjoy!

-Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment