Saturday, March 20, 2010

Glutino French Bread and Pizza Mix Review

Hello everybody!

It’s Spring Break, so I’m at home. When my sister and I were in elementary and middle school, my family used to get pizza every Friday. We decided to bring back the tradition, but this time, make gluten free pizza so I could eat it.
Luckily for us, my father works right by a Whole Foods; so on the way home, he picked up a pizza mix. He was looking for the Whole Foods 365 Brand, but apparently he didn’t see it, so he bought the Gluten Free Pantry French Bread and Pizza Mix (which is made by Glutino).













The ingredients were fairly normal for a college student to have, the only thing I wouldn’t have had at school was the vinegar, and even at home we did not have the correct kind, but we substituted with red wine vinegar.
The directions left it unclear if we were supposed to the dough rise like the French bread or if we should just mix the dough together and make the pizza. We decided to let the dough rise, figuring that it couldn’t hurt.

The dough was pretty sticky and a little bit difficult to spread on the pizza pan. I ended up sprinkling the pizza pan with all purpose gluten free flour, splatting blobs of the dough, and just spreading it over the pan with a spoon. It took awhile but it worked. After we spread the dough on the pizza pan, we would put it in the oven for about 8 minutes to let the dough get hard so the pizza would not get soggy. Then, we would put the ingredients on the pizza and put it back in the oven for 10-12 minutes.

It actually says to put the oven on 450, but we ended up putting it on 425 and cooking it for a little longer so it would not burn.

Yall can put whatever yall want on your pizza, but we ended up cutting traditional tomato pizza sauce, Pizza style cheese, Italian seasoning, Italian sausage, mushrooms, and red onions on our pizza, and it was DELICOUS. It was better than Boston’s Pizza!
(Did yall know that Boston’s Pizza has gluten free pizza? It’s good, but it made my stomach hurt last time I went...)

I would highly recommend this pizza crust mix because it is by far the most delicious gluten free pizza we have ever made. I am a person who cannot eat out because I am overly sensitive to cross contamination, so it was amazing to have such an amazing pizza with a light crisp crust. It was one of the best pizzas I have ever had! (including before my gluten allergy...)

The only thing I didn’t like was how long it took to make. Because it made so many pizzas, we had to wait for each one to get out of the oven and it just seemed to take forever. If you were at school maybe you could freeze some pizza dough for later? Even though I really enjoyed it, I think at college it would take too long, unless my boyfriend and I planned our date night around making pizza.

I hope you get to enjoy some pizza! I know I was happy to!

-Anita


No comments:

Post a Comment