Sunday, January 27, 2013

Thai Mango Curry With Chicken

This is my favorite meal to make at home. It is so good!

Many years ago, my cousin came to my house and made this curry. I have no idea where it came from, but I know it is delicious!

You have to try it!

I'm warning you now, it is not the prettiest, but it is the tastiest! :)

You'll need

  • 1 Serrano pepper 
  • 2 mangoes (or 2 cups of frozen mango)
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 2 tablespoons of fresh ginger
  • 1/4 cup of soy sauce (La Choy and Kroger brand are gluten free)
  • 1 bunch of cilantro
  • 1/4 cup of flaked coconut 
  • 1/4 cup of brown sugar 
  • 1/4 cup of thinly sliced green onions
  • 1 small package of silvered almonds (found in the baking aisle)
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • Rice noodles
  • 1-1.5 pounds of cubed chicken (spiced with powered ginger, garlic, salt, and pepper)

First, season the chicken with salt, pepper, powered ginger, and powered garlic.
Cook it up on a skillet (or in the oven, or grill...or however you'd like!)

Get your blender out.  Put the garlic, ginger, Serrano pepper (with the seeds), and soy sauce inside. Give it a blend. 


Then, add the cilantro to the blender and give it another blend. 


Lastly, add the mango. I have to blend everything in many steps, because I want the liquid to help blend up the frozen mango. If it it is fresh mango, you should be able to blend all of the ingredients at once. 



I know it's not the most appetizing color, but you're going to have to trust me on this recipe! :) 


Now, head to the stove. Let one tablespoon of butter melt, and add the sliced green onions and the silvered almonds. The almonds in the recipe are my favorite part! Don't leave them out! 

Cook them until the almonds are fragrant, but  not brown. If you can't tell, just cook them for about 5 minutes. Continue to stir them around so they don't burn. 



When the almonds are done, add the cilantro mixture from the blender to the skillet. Add the flaked coconut and brown sugar to the skillet. Stir until they're completely mixed in. 



By now, your chicken should be cooled, so cut up your chicken into bite sized pieces. Add the chicken pieces to the mixture. 



It's done! Hooray! Serve with rice noodles (follow the directions on the package. It takes about 5 minutes once the water is boiled). 

Instead of eating it right there and then, I wanted to take it over to my boyfriend's house. So I got a little creative... 


And it didn't spill on the car ride over. Yay! 

When I got to Daniel's house, we cooked the rice noodles and ate. It was delicious! 


This is SO good! You will love it! It is seriously one of the tastiest foods ever! 

Enjoy!

-Anita 

No comments:

Post a Comment