Sunday, May 6, 2012

Light Cajun Chicken Pasta

Light Cajun Chicken Pasta

I wanted to make the Pioneer Woman's Cajun Chicken Pasta for the longest time! I never did because it just seemed SO unhealthy! Heavy amounts of cream, wine, and butter...those are not ingredients I would feel comfortable eating and serving to my friends and family!
So, I went on a (Google) search for a light and healthy Cajun Chicken Pasta, and I found the perfect recipe! I got it from Skinnytaste.

You've got it make it. It's delicious! 

You'll need 

  • 8 ounces of long pasta noodles (I used De Boles gluten free spaghetti)
  • 1 pound of chicken, cut into thin strips
  • Cajun seasoning (1-2 teaspoon, or to taste) (I used Tony's Creole Seasoning)
  • 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 8 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/2 red onion, sliced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 medium tomatoes, diced
  • 1 cup of chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup of skim milk
  • 1 tablespoon of flour (I used gluten free)
  • 3 tablespoons of light cream cheese 
  • salt/pepper/garlic powder to taste
  • cooking spray
Prep all your vegetables. In a small blender make a slurry by combining milk, flour and cream cheese. Set aside. Season chicken generously with Cajun seasoning.


Prepare pasta in salted water according to package directions.

Heat a large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; spray with cooking spray and add half of the chicken. Sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until done, set aside on a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken. Set aside.

Add olive oil to the skillet and reduce to medium; add bell peppers, onions, and garlic to skillet, sauté 3-4 minutes. 


Add mushrooms and tomatoes and sauté 3-4 more minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season with to taste with Cajun seasoning/garlic power/black pepper.


Reduce heat to medium-low; add chicken broth and pour in slurry stirring about 2 minutes.

Return chicken to skillet; adjust Cajun seasoning to taste, cook another minute or two until hot, then add linguine; toss well to coat.



What did I think? I made it, and we ALL loved it! I'm not exactly a master with my knife skills, so it took me awhile to prep all of the vegetables. After that, it went by quickly! 

I will definitely make it again!

Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I'm definitely going to have to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete